Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Letter to the mis-editor

I have always been of the opinion that Indian newspapers thrive on sensationalism and fabricated news. You guys go the extra mile and prove it altogether.

We are quick to blame our politicians for everything that is wrong in India, but the fact remains that the media is equally to blame, since it is the voice of the people as well as the true source of information for those people too. Opinions can be formed and changed by news articles, since it is unthinkable of a newspaper lying. In the event that you have already accepted the possible mistake, I apologise. But if this hasn't happened yet it shows the difference between how responsible Indian and western newspapers feel. I believe a Washington paper had the same article (The Post?) and has since made an apology for its mistake.


The article I wish your clarification on is the following
http://www.indianexpress.com/story/15406.html#

"Domestic violence law in force from today"


I quote from the article:

"According to the United Nations Development Programme, nearly 70 per cent married women in the age group of 15 to 49 years in India face “rape, beating and verbal abuse”."

There is a gross lack of social responsibility on behalf of your journalist (I am trying hard to remain social and hence grant this title to her) and hence by your newspaper too.

I have searched the UNDP site and have been unable to find the said statistic. On the contrary, I have found another UN statistic (unfpa.org) that is at poles with what you have without verification printed in your paper.

Unlike your newspaper I shall cite my source and await your clarification.

UNFPA

Hoping that this letter does not get engulfed in the Red tape of Indian "journalism".


No comments: